Tuesday, February 25, 2020

A Day in the Life

The other day a colleague of mine asked me how my day had been.  One of those generic greetings that require a generic response.  "It was fine, how was yours?" Now we can carry on with the real purpose of the conversation.

Later on I found myself thinking about that conversation again.  When I thought about how my day had been, I immediately began to recall all of the tasks that made up my day at work.   But was that really a reflection of how my day had been?  I began wondering, how many times did I smile today?  How many emotions can I remember feeling?  What did I learn today?  What challenged me to think differently?

This thought process inevitably led me to wonder how a young child would interpret this question. When we come to school there is a routine.  There are things that happen consistently every single day.  They offer a security that children can depend on.  We have meals, we take naps, we play.  And while there is comfort in this structure, our day is so much more than that.  Each day is comprised of countless little moments and in the early years of development, each one of those moments has the power to make a lasting impact.  A shared laugh with a peer can be the beginning of a relationship that sparks incredible social/emotional development.  The sun casting shadows across the playground can inspire a lifelong love of science and the natural world.   A picture in a book that brings joy to a child can encourage him to open another book, then another.  Our days are full of growth and learning in a million tiny extraordinary ways.  These photographs, while only capturing a fraction of these moments, offer beautiful insight into our day.

















Every single moment of the day is meaningful, because after all it is always the little things that make the big things happen.


No comments:

Post a Comment